Saturday, April 6, 2013

#paleopics

A very good friend of mine is known for many things, not the least of which is his sarcasm.  He's highly intelligent, quick to the draw, and snarky as all hell.  Some people say you either love him or hate him, but I just love to love him.  If you went to FAU with me, you know exactly who I mean.  The one and only... Danny Palmer.  This buddy of mine recently posted the following as his facebook status:

Danny Palmer
Crossfit/Paleo: the new "posting cat pictures".

I know Danny well enough to know that he was just being clever, linking two things together in a witty way that he knew would get a laugh and (mostly likely) ruffle some feathers.  That's Danny's way of doing things. And that's fine.  But if you know me, you know I'm an opinionated and outspoken girl, so I just had to comment:

Danielle Kehlmann I could kick the crap out of you now {thanks to crossfit}. So watch it mister. Also, posting pictures of a cat (no offense, cat posters) because it's cute is completely different than posting pictures of food to help stay on track, inspire others, thank those who've motivated you, and share recipes. And is also totally different from posting workouts to stay accountable, share workout ideas with others, and inspire friends who've asked that you do. I know you were being clever, but you also know that I always have an opinion and must insert it (especially when it isn't asked for!) Love you!


His post did get me thinking, though.  Crossfit and Paleo people really do post a lot of pictures. I mean, a lot.  I'm guilty of it! So I got to thinking about why we as a community feel compelled to share photos of our food and workouts, and why I personally do so.  Posting photos provides a platform for like-minded individuals to come together and discuss the picture's subject: in this case -- food and fitness.   I follow paleo/crossfit lovers from all over the world.  We trade ideas and give words of encouragement.  We give suggestions about cooking and ingredients and provide support when there might be self-doubt.  We trade meal ideas on instagram.  (In fact, I wouldn't make half of the amazing food I do without people like Juli from PaleOMG or Jess at PaleoLifeCrossfitLove.) In short, we are a community.  We read each other's blogs not only for our own gain but also to encourage the writer.  We have this thing in common, this desire to feel good and be healthy and achieve optimum fitness levels.  We care passionately about what goes into our bodies and what our bodies, in turn, do with those things.  Many of us have supportive friends and family, but many of us don't.  Even with support from those closest to us, if they aren't paleo or don't do crossfit, they don't quite get it.  Ever try to talk sports with a theatre girl (and by theatre girl I mean me)?  Ever tried to explain a motorcycle engine to someone who hates mechanics?  It's like that. People get sick of hearing about my newest whipped coconut cream and berries dessert or the fact that I GOT ELEVEN CONSECUTIVE DOUBLE UNDERS THIS MORNING (yes this happened!!!!!).  But through pictures, through blogs, through social media, we can find and engage with the people who don't get sick of hearing about my bananas and bacon breakfast or my unbridled excitement about PRing my deadlift.  Some people think it's absolutely nuts that I'm doing the 21 day sugar detox, and even those who don't think I'm insane still just don't get it.  But I know that if I post a picture on Instagram and simply type #21dsd in the caption, I'll get an outpouring of support from people who do get it. People who are doing the same thing at the same time.  People who can provide a personal, emotional, intellectual connection.  And most of us, in the whole world, are really always searching for that kind of connection.


The other aspect that I care about in regards to this topic comes from the part of me that wants to say "Hell yes I post photos of my delicious food and my really freaking hard work out. I. AM. PROUD." These are areas of my, of our, life that we are excited about, proud of, and feel flipping fantastic about showing to others.  I personally never posted pictures of the times I ate at McDonald's or the night I hate half a roll of prepackaged cookie dough.  I felt like shit about those times.  In fact, I distinctly remember getting fast food one night and throwing the trash in a dumpster instead of my own garbage can because I would be too embarrassed for my friends to see it there.  These are not things I'm proud of, but they are true.  And I bet at least half of you know exactly what I'm talking about.  So for me, personally, it feels awesome to say, through pictures, "Hey, I love myself enough to take really good care of myself and have a blast while doing it. Here are some pictures!"

Also, posting photos is fun. And it's addictive.  And ya know what, we crossfitters/paleo eaters do do it A LOT.  The good news?  We also know how to make fun of ourselves...




So do we post a lot of pictures? Yeah.  Do I think it's the same thing as posting pictures of a cat? No.  (But by all means, cat people, post away.  It's a free internet!)  We are using social media for the exact purpose for which it was invented.  We are having fun, trading stories, and getting really good at taking far away pictures that'll fit in that stupid little frame without cutting off the edges.  And besides, if not for us, who'll hashtag #hashtagpaleo?

Peace, love, and paleo pics,
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment